Bad Breath in Dogs – Its Causes and Treatments
By Paul Ryan on June 26, 2013
As the bacteria build in the lungs, mouth, or gut causes bad breath for your pet, it is necessary to treat it before it gets worse. If you find that the bad breath is persisting for a long time, in that case you need to take your pet to a veterinarian or need to check for his gastrointestinal, kidney, or liver problems.
There are certain other reasons for bad breath in your dog such as gum diseases, mouth infections, or respiratory tract infections. In all the above cases, bad breath is a warning sign that your pet needs proper treatment as early as possible.
A veterinarian is the best person to consult to know more about the diseases and appropriate causes of the infections. Laboratory checkup and physical examination will find out the exact cause behind the bad breath.
If you find below types of smell in your pet then you need to consult with a vet immediately as they might ward off harmful diseases.
- A foul odor along with reduced appetite, vomiting, or yellow-tinged gums or corneas could singed of liver problems.
- Uncommon fruity or sweet breath could direct diabetes in a pet and if you find your pet is urinating frequently than usual then you need to take him/her to the hospital.
- Breath that comes like urine can address to kidney diseases in pets.
Treatments of bad odor depend upon a veterinarian’s observation and diagnosis. If plaque observed to a vet, then your pet might need an expert cleaning. If the diet of your pet is the cause then you needs to replace his diet as suggested by a vet. If abdominal or gastrointestinal problems or liver issues are the culprit then speak to a veterinarian to get the perfect solutions.
To keep the healthy breath of your pet, consider below treatments:
- Take your dog to a vet to keep checking the underlying cause which may leads to halitosis or bad breath of your dog.
- Make sure a vet is monitoring the gums, teeth and mouth when there is a risk of bad breath.
- Pamper your pooch by cleaning their mouth and teeth regularly.
- Feed them high quality food which is digestible for them.
- Buy a dog toothbrush and brush their teeth every day.
- Chewing provides exercise to the teeth and gums hence buy dog chewing toys to maintain the hygiene of the mouth. Avail soft chewing toys.
- Buy dental cleaning products.
Give good food, better health to your pet by caring for them and treating the underlying health problems. Dog health plays an important role in making them strong and pleasant.
Consider above health care tips and give good breath to pets.
Paul Ryan works as a Business Manager at genericfrontlineplus.com, Genericfrontlineplus is an online pet store offering quality Frontline flea treatment with guaranteed affordable prices.
Follow us: @SooperArticles on Twitter | SooperArticles on Facebook
The article was originally posted and shared by Paul Ryan and Sooper Articles