Caring for a Cat with Diarrhea
A cat with diarrhea will only need to stay with the veterinarian in extreme cases. Most of the time you will have to take the cat home and deal with the mess that the cat will be making, added to that will be the stress of taking care of a sick cat.
Although generally cats are quite stoic and would not show you how they are feeling, this will not lessen your worries because you already know that they are sick.
Here are a few things that you need to do when you have a cat at home who is suffering from diarrhea:
1. Make sure that the cat is comfortable and as free from stress as possible. Remove any reason that may aggravate the illness that is causing the cat’s diarrhea.
2. Keep the surroundings clean, a cat with diarrhea means that the immune system is already at a weakened state and any further incursion can only make matters worse.
3. If there is more than one cat in the house, you should isolate the cat with diarrhea from the others. The fecal matter of the sick cat may also carry the bacteria that are causing its diarrhea, and you really don’t want to be dealing with more than one cat with that problem.
4. Follow the veterinarian’s instructions on the treatments or medication, if any. It is best to write it down on a piece of paper and post it at a place that you can see often.
5. Ask your veterinarian if there are any supplements that you can give your cat to strengthen the cat’s digestive system after the treatment or medication to avoid future problems.
6. Take care of yourself as well, because giving care to a sick pet can take its toll on you. The stress and the extra chores can make YOU sick if you are not careful, or at the very least it will compromise your ability to function and keep your temper in check.
Cats and other pets can enrich your life beyond measure, and the only thing that an owner can do is to give him the care he needs to live a longer and better life.
The happiness that a pet brings will never equal the small discomforts you will go through in taking care of them. Keep this in mind when things seem too trying in dealing with a cat with diarrhea.
This article is presented through the courtesy of Animal Pets and Friends Articles and Websites