Substances that may be TOXIC to your BIRD
While is’s true that certain plants are toxic to almost every species of animal, it is unlikely that your pet MACAW will be spending enough time outside to ingest sufficient amounts of daffodils, mountain laurel or yews to do serious damage.
Much more dangerous to your BIRD is the cage in which he or she lives. Be sure that the cage is painted with lead-free paint. Bored BIRDS may chip away at their cages and die from lead poisoning. If you let your BIRD loose in the house and his or her favorite place to perch is on your curtains…be sure the curtain rods are lead-free. Dr. Pinney suggests in his book The Illustrated Veterinary Guide for Dogs, Cats, Birds, and Exotic Pets., that even tap water delivered in lead pipes could eventually have a toxic affect on your BIRD.
Signs of poisoning range from vomiting, seizures, diarrhea, and lethargy. If you are at all suspicious take your BIRD to the Vet immediately. Medical treatment includes drugs and sometimes surgery if sufficient amounts of lead have been ingested.
DO NOT leave any of these substances sitting out, even put away the “rag”, dust cloth that you used!
|Boric Acid||Detergents||Drain Cleaners||Fuel (gas, oil, kerosene)|
|Furniture and Metal Polish||Gasoline||Hair dye||Laundry Bleach|
|Mushrooms||Nail Polish||Oven Cleaners||Paint and thinner|
|Pesticides||Pine Oil||Poisons (rat, snail, roach bait)||Rust Remover|
|Shaving Lotion||Spot removers||Super Glue||Varnish|
Another source of toxicity is the toilet bowl cleaner that hangs exposed inside the toilet bowl. Free-flying birds have been known to take a bath in the bowl. The chemical in the cleaner, once absorbed, is lethal.
Visit the ASPCA Poison Center for more information about poisons and how to detect and treat poisoning.
|Azalea||Black Locust||Caladium||Castor Bean|
|Jimsonweed||Lily of the Valley||Mistletoe||Nightshades|
For caustic poisons do not induce vomiting. Try to dilute the poison with milk, an egg white in 1 cup of water, or 1-2 teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia in water.
Alert your vet that your BIRD may have been poisoned–THEN, get the bird to the Vet!!!. Try to identify the specific poison so that antidotes can be found.