Portuguese Podengo

Hound Group

Pequeno photos are through the courtesy of  Porto Novo Podengos

The Portuguese Podengo breed is a Portuguese national breed and comes in three types: the Pequeno (Small); the Medio (Medium); and the Grande (Large), and all three sizes come in either smooth coat or wire coat varieties.  There are around 300 currently in the U.S. (2008).  The Podengo Pequeno and Medio are friendly, hardy, lively and intelligent companions. They are very active and usually good with children and other animals when socialized from an early age. They enjoy time with their human family.  The Grande may need training and socialization from an experienced trainer as they are bred to hunt larger game.  The Pequenos make up 75% of Podengos in the US, with Medios the remaining 25%.  All types are very healthy dogs that live well into their late teens.  They need daily physical and mental exercise and enjoy and excel at agility and other sporting games. Minimal grooming and minimal shedding, no undercoat.

Average Height(“‘s)
Average Weight (#’s)
Notes for owners
The height and weight are given from the lowest for a female to the highest for a male.
Grande: 22-28; Medio: 16-22; Pequeno: 8-12
Grande: 44-66; Medio: 35-44; Pequeno: 9-13
Smooth Coat-short and very dense; Wire Coat-medium length, rough, harsh Minimal brushing Not a lap dog – likes activity.

Relevant Web Sites


AKC Breed Profile

Portuguese Podengo Club of America

American Portuguese Podengo MedioGrande Club

Podengo Club of Portugal

We STRONGLY recommend that you get your dog from a respectable breeder or rescue organization.  Pet store puppies may get their dogs from Puppy Mills that normally breed only for profit, not quality or concern for the puppy or its eventual owner.  Please visit NoPuppyMills.comIf you would like help locating a breeder or rescue agency near you please E-Mail PGAA ( ita408@comcast.net), and let us know your city/state and the type of dog you are looking for.  Do not assume that PGAA has qualified all of the breeders or rescues on this site.  Do your own check of each breeder or rescue — be sure that you are comfortable with the organization before you buy, adopt or turn-over a dog.